Sunday, October 31

Titan Terror Project Winners Revealed

October 31, 2010

NEW WILMINGTON, Pa.-- More than 125 students, staff and faculty packed Mueller Theater at Westminster College for the first Titan Terror Project Showcase on Wednesday. The standing room only crowd witnessed the top prize going to Broadcast Communications major Alyssa Hanna and her minimovie Independent. Media Art professor Kurt Roscoe and his family received the runner-up prize for a project entitled Red Light.


Audio Visual Services Director Gary Swanson was surprised and pleased by the crowd that turned out for the showcase. AV Services co-sponsored the minimovie competition with Titan Radio and WCN.

"We had an idea that we'd have a good turnout, but never expected that we'd fill the place beyond capacity," Swanson said. "I don't think we even had any standing room left. People were all over the floor and aisles."

Hanna entered the project because she is a student in Brad Weaver's Video Production class (BC 251). Entering the Titan Terror Project was a class assignment. The instructor also made it so the only way a student could get an A on the project was to win the Titan Terror Project.

"I didn't think I would actually win," Hanna reacted. "I knew I would do well enough to make it into the top ten and maybe even 5, but I didn't think I would actually win."

The audience also voted electronically making Hanna's film the fan favorite. Her instructor also informed her she will recieve the A for the assignment.

"I was obviously worried about the grade portion, as that constitutes for a large enough percentage of our final grade, and I take my grades very seriously. I was so worried about the audience award! I think I wanted that more than the other one once I heard that was another prize."

Meanwhile, first-year student Joe Ligo says he was pleased with the audience reaction to his movie, Howard the Haunter.

Ligo entered the competition on his own and his film was featured as one of the top entries. He's a Broadcast Comm major and knows he'll be required to participate when he takes Video Production next year.

"My movie was more like a movie trailer," Ligo explained. "Perhaps I'll shoot for a more short-film like format next time."

Ligo also had high praise for the winners. His movie was the second fan favorite, but he has nothing but congratulations for Hanna.

"Independent was very clever and had a lot of fun people starring in it. Red Light was very clever and suspenseful, and very well edited."

The Titan Terror Project will return in 2011. Organizers say they'll also give competitors three minutes to tell their story instead of the two-minute time limit in this year's event.

"The Titan Terror project has been fantastic, especially in how it connects with our viral video society," Gary Swanson added. "I don't think I've seen so much buzz about something in my 20 years here at Westminster. We definitely want to make this an annual event, possibly opening it up to the community as well."



Watch the Titan Terror Project grand prize winner, INDEPENDENT.

Independent by: Team Alyssa from WCN 24/7 on Vimeo.

Watch the Titan Terror Project runner-up, Red Light.

Red Light by: r2 Independent Films from WCN 24/7 on Vimeo.



Click here to check out all the entries online.

No comments: